Thanks Aditya. Option 1 is simple enough. Not sure why that eluded me earlier! Option 2 gives me a little more choice, I think. I'd being playing with framed but could quite get it right.

It does seem, though, just using '1' as the chapter number for the moment, that the underline is not quite centered; almost but not quite. So am playing around with the roffset to adjust that.

Julian