On 11/15/2021 7:06 PM, Rik Kabel via ntg-context wrote:

On your empty performance test, I get around 0.10, .11, .08 for direct, and 0.4 for fast. With the grouped styling, those balloon to 0.50, 0.56, 0.48, and 0.44.
just for the record, here with lmtx i get (on a 2013 laptop):

0.128 0.130 0.114 0.057
0.686 0.674 0.660 0.602

while mkiv does:

0.211 0.224 0.131 0.055
0.763 0.767 0.677 0.597

(normally one will use at least a million tests because th elast digot is kind of meaningless; also the used compiler matters)

but i bet that on an average job our machines don't perform too different (simple tests like these are happily using the cpu cache)

it's not that easy to make tex jobs run faster but also not that hard to make them run slower, which i try to avoid -)