> Am 17.11.2021 um 16:08 schrieb ⁨Idris Samawi Hamid ادريس سماوي حامد⁩
> <⁨idris.ha...@colostate.edu⁩>:
>
>> That looks to me like flawed logic – why should content for the unabridged
>> version appear within the abridged version?
>
> TeX comments will illustrate:
>
> ==============
> This text goes into the abridged version.
>
> % This text will appear in the unabridged version.
>
> And this text goes into the abridged version.
>
> % And this text goes into the unabridged version.
>
> And this additional text goes into the abridged version.
>
> % And this additional text goes into the unabridged version.
> ==============
>
> An abridged run will ignore the commented text, and an unabridged run will
> include it.

Ok, it it’s about such small snippets, consider
\doifmode{mode1,mode2}{Conditional text}.

I don’t think you would get shorter markup with nesting.

More possibilities see https://wiki.contextgarden.net/Modes

> Consider variant texts:
>
> =======
> Here is some text that
>   contains % mode=variantone
>   includes % mode=varianttwo
>   is comprised of % mode=variantthree
> some variants.
>
> Here is some more text that
>   features % mode=variantone
>   exhibits % mode=varianttwo
>   illustrates % mode=variantthree
> some variants.
> =======
>
> This example is to be processed to produce exactly three distinct results.
> So, e.g., "contains" and "features" belong to variantone. Etc. So like XML.

How about:

Here is some text that
\startmodeset
[variantone]     {contains}
[varianttwo]     {includes}
[variantthree]   {is comprised of}
[default]        {doesn’t contain}
\stopmodeset
some variants.

>> It might be a bit annoying, but you could end the previous mode before
>> starting the next.
> Assuming that I'm not misunderstanding you: For a book-length project, that
> would be beyond annoying.

Well, it looks like you’ll need a lot of markup anyway.

HTH
Hraban

  • [NTG-con... Idris Samawi Hamid ادريس سماوي حامد via ntg-context
    • Re:... Aditya Mahajan via ntg-context
      • ... Idris Samawi Hamid ادريس سماوي حامد via ntg-context
        • ... Henning Hraban Ramm via ntg-context
          • ... Idris Samawi Hamid ادريس سماوي حامد via ntg-context
            • ... Taco Hoekwater via ntg-context
            • ... Henning Hraban Ramm via ntg-context
              • ... Idris Samawi Hamid ادريس سماوي حامد via ntg-context
        • ... Aditya Mahajan via ntg-context
          • ... Hans Hagen via ntg-context
            • ... Idris Samawi Hamid ادريس سماوي حامد via ntg-context
          • ... Idris Samawi Hamid ادريس سماوي حامد via ntg-context
    • Re:... Hans Hagen via ntg-context