Thomas A. Schmitz wrote:
> Mojca,
>
> I'm not sure I've understood all you're trying to do, but I feel kind
> of responsible for the Greek.

Thank you very much, Thomas!

> I took the polutonic/ancient Greek
> basically from the Unicode names, but I left modern/monotonic Greek
> alone because the support was already there and I didn't want to mess
> up somebody else's work. As for the three slots you mention:
>
> 037A GREEK YPOGEGRAMMENI
> 0384 GREEK TONOS
> 0385 GREEK DIALYTIKA TONOS
>
> These are characters that are never (?) used on their own, only to
> combine with vowels. But let me know if there are more
> inconcsitencies, and I'll try and fix them for the 31-vector.

I would say that the same is true for acute/grave/circumflex accent in
latin, but they're there and we need a name for them in order to be
able to compose (fake) characters out of it
(\buldtextaccent\textgrave{a} to get agrave). What do you do with
those characters in cp1253 encoding
<http://www.microsoft.com/typography/unicode/1253.htm>? Without those
definitions the cp1253 input encoding cannot be fully supported, but
is anyone using that regime at all? cp1250 (central european) is still
widely used for example.

For combining there are some others (unnamed):
0342 COMBINING GREEK PERISPOMENI
0343 COMBINING GREEK KORONIS
0344 COMBINING GREEK DIALYTIKA TONOS
0345 COMBINING GREEK YPOGEGRAMMENI
but they need special treetment (not supported in ConTeXt yet) anyway.

I know just about nothing about Greek fonts and their quality
(coverage of Greek glyphs), but even with a pretty incomplete font you
can then say something like:
    \definecharacter greekomegatonos \buildtextaccent\greektonos\greekomega
and perhaps even
    \definecharacter greektonos \textacute
where there is no special glyph for tonos present

I guess that
\greekypogegrammeni, \greektonos and \greekdialytikatonos would be
just fine, I just asked because there may be some cases (like with
many latin "cedilla" or "stroke" letters or "hacek" that was later
renamed into "caron"), where Unicode is not as accurate as one would
want it to be.

An example of inconsistency of names:
1F0C \greekAlphapsilitonos GREEK CAPITAL LETTER ALPHA WITH PSILI AND OXIA
1F0D \greekAlphadasiatonos GREEK CAPITAL LETTER ALPHA WITH DASIA AND OXIA

But I don't know anything about Greek, so I cannot judge which of the
names is more accurate.

Thanks again for help,
    Mojca