On 12/15/2021 4:21 PM, Marco Patzer wrote:
Hi Hans,

a followup to our conversation in the meeting: here's an MWE
demonstrating that errors aren't passed on to the runner script,
except for "logs.errors=missing characters", which in fact do return
failure, all others do return success.

%% enables logging of errors same as --errors
\enabledirectives
   [logs.errors]

\starttext

%% ### semi simple group … entered at line
\startalignment [middle]
   foo

\stoptext
You can check in the next upload:

- The 'failure' that you saw was actually a real lua error because I hadn't adapted some fancy, a very old 'around' 2006 feature, seldom used as it's more 'an example of possibilities' code to luametatex yet ... fwiw, we still share some lua files between engines.

- Afaiks you should now get return code 1 for other cases (say you give \foo without meaning). It's a it tricky as this info has to pass through several subsystems.

- The runaway error is actually kind of special (there are a few more) where the engine simply quits in confusion and doesn't exit hard as error (often because tex could somehow recover). If needed I can actually do a real error but it's not entirely compatible then (not that i care that much about compatibility in these shady areas.)