On 12/25/2021 11:52 PM, Thomas Savary via ntg-context wrote:
Hi Bruce and Hans !

Thank you very much for your answers, that helped me a lot.

In fact, though I would love to switch to ConTeXt one day, I am still using LuaLaTeX — I am a slow learner and I know it will take me months to be able to achieve what I need for my job with ConTeXt and can do with LuaLaTeX and the Memoir class for the time being (despite sometimes being irritated by LaTeX limitations or oddities).

keep in mind that context font handling and latex font handling can differ (and not all that is possible in context is in the generic font loader code); also, in (esp in lmtx) some solutions are not bound to fonts

I need the EB Garamond variable font for future jobs, but this font, provided by Google Fonts, is such a mess : kerning problems, unusable OpenType features that have to be rewritten from scratch, shifts in glyphs table… For sure, the original font by Georg Duffner was much better, but I need the variable version. Lots of fixing necessary, but thanks to fonts.handlers.otf.addfeature I have almost succeeded to make it a usable Garamond.

a probably more reliable solution is to 'remove bad stuff' from the loaded font by running over the features and removing bad matches (which is less sensitive for order)

Of course, it would be best to help Google improving this font, but I don’t have time yet.

is that really a google font? afaik it doesn't originate there (unless it among those things that google grabs - and at some point possible discards)

The actual problem was with the italic ligatures "a_s", "e_s", "é_s", "i_s" and "u_s", that should occur only at the end of words and not everywhere. Instead of removing the unwanted ligatures, I chose another way as soon as I understood how to fully use “current” to describe not only a single glyph, but a string if necessary — for instance, current={ { "a", "e", "eacute", "i", "u"}, {"s"} }

ok, good that you got it working