Hi,

As most of you know by now, Mikael and I are working on a math support upgrade. In order to let users keep up we uploaded a new version. We have been revisioning some of the more obscure constructs where we have no clue of usage, like pmod, bmod, bordermatrix etc, commands that we took (and reimplemented) decades ago from plain TeX or AMS TeX, assuming that these are standards.

In this release, encouraged by the positive response we received from users regarding the new simplealignment construction, and in particular regarding the self-explaining sesac, we have decided to introduced some new constructs. First out is

\startformula
\startxıɹʇɐɯ
  \NC a_1 \NC b_1 \NC c_1 \NR
  \NC a_2 \NC b_2 \NC c_2 \NR
  \NC a_3 \NC b_3 \NC c_3 \NR
\stopxıɹʇɐɯ
\stopformula

for rotation matrices. This was demanded for some advanced math courses that Mikael teaches. It might inspire users to come up with demands that suits their own obscure but nevertheless interesting math.

At some point we realized that, with (also) scientific publishers (of math journals) moving to MS Word and Indesign, we operate in a rather peculiar niche and the fact that we use an upgraded and more granular math engine, made us wonder how to communicate all these new features and standards that we set. It is for that reason that from now on we will operate under the CMS umbrella. That abbreviation stands for ConTeXt Math Society. It has no funny swirly TeX logo which itself is a statement: in Unicode math script and calligraphic alphabets are so messed up that it is impossible to have a reliable and predictable rendering. We go for Dutch and Swedish simplicity in the spirit of W.N. Lansburgh: back to the times before TeX was written (1964). There will be no limits and boundaries set. (Talking math limits and boundaries: these can already go everywhere anyway, as can fences.)

So, when we mention CMS, we mean serious math business, but kindergarten math is also embraced! There are no consequences for users: ConTeXt users with a proven math track record are automatically a member, but we are not too picky, everyone is welcome. We don't have honorary members but Taco (the first ConTeXt math user) and Aditya (the most experienced one) might consider themselves as such. Mikael Sundqvist is the chairman, which is a livelong appointment. (A nice side effect is that with Arthur living in Sweden too, that gives us a very strong position in the TeX landscape there.)

So, today's upload is sort of special: welcome CMS (ConTeXt Math Shines), goodbye AMS (American Math Second). Of course we're open for suggestions and it being an open society all voices will be heard, but only proper (retro) math cf Lansburgh will be honored. Of course we only listen to ConTeXt users and, as that package is not supposed to be used for serious math, we don't bother about the few publishers left that still do math.

Are we done? Not yet. We're in the middle of (colorful and graphic) alignment ornaments and after that we're going to expand and improve multi-line display formulas and equation numbering.

It will be no coincidence that the cover of Landburghs book about math typesetting has a prominent 'AWE' embedded in a logo with a lion on top: we hope all users are in awe about what the TeX lion can do.

Mikael S & Hans H