Hi Julian,

Am 24.05.22 um 02:30 schrieb jbf via ntg-context:
I wonder if someone can help me interpret this message in the log file

fonts           > start missing characters: /home/jbf/bin/context/tex/texmf/fonts/opentype/public/tex-gyre/texgyrepagella-regular.otf
fonts           >   88  U+00336  ̶  COMBINING LONG STROKE OVERLAY
fonts           > stop missing characters

My questions are as follows:

1. What does 88 mean here? 88 instances of this missing glyph? Page 88? Or something else? or in other words, how might I discover where something is missing from the original text?

Don’t know. In a different context (haha) I’d say a nazi greeting.

2. Tex Gyre Pagella is normally a pretty handy typeface to use for me because it has pretty much all the glyphs I normally need... except this one obviously! Isn't it really just an en rule (or very similar to such)? Or in other words, how do I best overcome the problem of this missing character?

"combining" means a combining accent.

In case you’re on MacOS and copied the text from e.g. a PDF, MacOS decomposes many (all?) accented vowels, like u + combining trema instead of a proper ü umlaut glyph, and that can cause missing or displaced accents, depending on the font.

Similar with additional space “glyphs” that are often missing in fonts and cause warnings like this.

Are you missing any characters where this long stroke should appear?

3. And perhaps connected with the above question: is there good fallback solution one can use? Do I need to \definefontfallback something or is there an automatic one already happening?

I've started to examine the log files a bit more carefully for various items and it is showing up my ignorance!!

I wouldn’t call that ignorance – you can ignore a lot of warnings if the output looks good enough.

Hraban