You left out the comma after the backspace setting. WIth that in, all is well.

On 2022-05-27 12:03, Stefan Nedeljkovic via ntg-context wrote:
Thank you very much Aditya for looking into this. But I still have the same baseline grid offset problem. Interestingly, when I remove the columns, the text shifts downwards by two lines.
My code:

\definemeasure[xheight][0.1in]

\definemeasure[base][3\measured{xheight}]

% Since all distances are in terms of base units, specify the paper size in those

% terms as well.

\definepapersize[slide][width=26\measured{base},height=20\measured{base}]

\setuppapersize[slide]

\setupinterlinespace[line=\measure{base}]

\setuplayout

[

topspace=2\measured{base},

header=\zeropoint,

headerdistance=\zeropoint,

height=middle, % Space for 20-4=16 lines

footerdistance=\zeropoint,

footer=\zeropoint,

bottomspace=2\measured{base},

%

cutspace=2\measured{base},

leftmargin=\zeropoint,

leftmargindistance=\zeropoint,

width=middle, % space for 26-4=22 col

rightmargindistance=\zeropoint,

rightmargin=\zeropoint,

backspace=2\measured{base}

grid=yes,

]

\showframe

\showgrid

\starttext

\input tufte

\stoptext

I'm attaching the pdf output.

On Fri, May 27, 2022 at 5:00 PM Aditya Mahajan <adit...@umich.edu> wrote:

    On Wed, 25 May 2022, Stefan Nedeljkovic via ntg-context wrote:

    > Dear list,
    >
    > My adventures into the world of grids continue. In the linked file
    > (slide_grid_overlay.pdf) there are two things I cannot yet achieve:
    >
    >     1. I want the baseline grid to evenly (vertically) divide
    the text
    > area, but my code produces a smaller height of the first line and an
    > additional space at the bottom.

    You did not set footerdistance to zero. So, that takes up some space.

    >     2. The number of columns is 21.5, that is the first column
    is 0.5 units
    > wide and the rest are 1 unit wide.

    I believe that columns has to be an integer. Why do you want
    fractional columns? Columns are useful because you can say:

    \setlayer[name][line=2,column=3]{....}

    for absolute positioning of layers. So, you can always use:

    \setlayer[name][line=2,column=3,x=0.5\measured{base}]{....}

    to move everything to the right by 0.5 units.

    Another option is not to use columns at all, and simply do:

    \setlayer[name][line=2,x=3.5\measured{base}]

    which will place the layer at 3.5 units from the left edge of the
    text area.

    > Here is what I got right now:

    Currently your textwidth is not a multiple of base units. I have
    tweaked the code below so that it is.

[...]

          columns=22,
          columndistance=1pt,
          %