On 8/29/2022 1:31 PM, Denis Maier via ntg-context wrote:
-----Ursprüngliche Nachricht-----
Von: Hans Hagen <j.ha...@freedom.nl>
Gesendet: Sonntag, 28. August 2022 10:41
An: mailing list for ConTeXt users <ntg-context@ntg.nl>
Cc: Maier, Denis Christian (UB) <denis.ma...@unibe.ch>
Betreff: Re: [NTG-context] Parallel texts: verse with blanks between stanzas
via tabulate

On 8/27/2022 11:25 PM, Denis Maier via ntg-context wrote:
Thanks, Wolfgang. That gives me a blank between the verses. However the
blank is rather huge and I don't see how I could make it smaller? Is it possible
to do this?
morning exercise attached (you can run the file)

Hans

Another, more general question on this: why is the function poetry.sidebyside
defined twice? If I understand correctly, depending on the input one or the
other will be used, but I don't see where that happens...
the first can be commented as it is the first simple variant

%D \module
%D   [       file=m-poetry,
%D        version=2022.08.28
%D          title=\CONTEXT\ Extra Modules,
%D       subtitle=Whatever comes up,
%D         author=Hans Hagen,
%D           date=\currentdate,
%D      copyright={PRAGMA ADE \& \CONTEXT\ Development Team}]
%C
%C This module is part of the \CONTEXT\ macro||package and is
%C therefore copyrighted by \PRAGMA. See mreadme.pdf for
%C details.

% For Denis Maier (see mails to list end of August 2022)

\startluacode

local      poetry = moduledata.poetry or { }
moduledata.poetry = poetry

-- function poetry.sidebyside(specification)
--     local first   = string.splitlines(buffers.getcontent(specification.left))
--     local second  =
string.splitlines(buffers.getcontent(specification.right))
--     local template = specification.template or "|||"
--     context.starttabulate { template }
--         for i=1,#first do
--             local f = first [i] or ""
--             local s = second[i] or ""
--             if f == "" and s == "" then
--                 context.TB { "medium" }
--             else
--                 context.NC() context(f)
--                 context.NC() context(s)
--                 context.NC() context.NR()
--             end
--         end
--     context.stoptabulate()
-- end

function poetry.sidebyside(specification)
    local left    = specification.left
    local right   = specification.right
    local first   = left  and string.splitlines(buffers.getcontent(left )) or {
}
    local second  = right and string.splitlines(buffers.getcontent(right)) or {
}

    if #first > 0 and #second == 0 then
        for i=1,#first do
            local t = string.split(first[i], "|")
            first[i]  = string.strip(t[1] or "")
            second[i] = string.strip(t[2] or "")
        end
    end

    local template = specification.template or "|||"

    context.starttabulate { template }
        local fi = 1
        local si = 1
        local n  = #first > #second and #first or #second

        local function flush(f,s)
            context.NC() context(f)
            context.NC() context(s)
            context.NC() context.NR()