On 10/15/22 09:41, Hans Hagen via ntg-context wrote:
> On 10/14/2022 4:14 PM, Pablo Rodriguez via ntg-context wrote:
>> [...]
>> Many thanks for the new version, Hans.
>>
>> I have discovered that it includes in
>> tex/texmf-context/source/luametatex what should be the LMTX source
>> (about 11MB).
>
> It zips to 2 MB and totals to less of a picture on a fancy phone ...

Many thanks for your reply, Hans.

At least on my system, I think every file is downloaded uncompressed.

With a low speed connection (here, the service isn’t great all the
time), having to download over 400 files is a killer.

The storage space on disk is irrelevant, I totally agree with you.

I wish I could say that large updates such as these weren’t a problem in
some cases. But sometimes this isn’t true here.

With incremental updates, the downloading process takes way shorter in
subsequent updates (as Alan pointed out). But the first time it might
take too much (so the script quits).

> the idea is to provide the user with all he needs as archive so no
> dependencies (apart from a compiler). Also by including the source we
> can sort of guaranteed that you get what you expect to work with the tex
> files (no interference with distribution patches our of our control). It
> has always been part of the plan with luametatex. So ... it will not be
> optional.

I asked to make this optional not to avoid having the source, but to be
able to complete the update process.

I’m not extremely confident, but I hope I will manage to update ConTeXt
at the office (next working day).

Many thanks for your help,

Pablo