Hi Hans and List,

>> 2) Can I tell \connectboxanchors to use my MetaPost code and pass key=value
>> pairs like I do with \setMPpositiongraphic?
> see attached ... the 'cross pages' feature is in the upcoming

This indeed passes key=value pairs, but I cannot get it to pass mine. Is there
some intermediate step? Your example has a key=value pair in \connectboxanchors
and which is accessed in the MetaPost code. The pair, and MetaPost code are:

  rulethickness=1pt
  mpvard “rulethickness"

However, if I change the pair and MPcode to (see attached example for full code)

  myrulethickness=1pt
  mpvard “myrulethickness"

it doesn’t work. Similarly, you have a pair and MPcode that don’t match.

  rulecolor=darkgreen
  mpvars "linecolor"

This may be a historical fluke, but it suggests that there is some intermediate
translation that I am missing. Any way I can name and pass by own key=value
pairs?

Thanks!
Gavin