Hi Hans,

> it is more side effect of removing the (declared obsolete some years
> ago) `` '' input which catched it later
>
> i tend to remove
>
>          for k, v in next, ligaturemapping do
>              hash[k] = v
>          end
>
> in favor of an explicit 'tquo' feature that one can enable if wanted
>
> \definefontfeature[default][default][tlig=yes,tquo=yes,trep=yes]

That does make the output more consistent, but not in the way that I'm
wanting. My real code looks more like this:

   \definefontfeature[default][default][tlig=yes, tquo=yes, trep=yes]

   \startbuffer[test-bib]
   @article{one,
       author = {``Auth\v{o}r---One''},
   }
   @article{two,
       author = {``Authǒr---Two''},
   }
   \stopbuffer

   \usebtxdataset[test-bib.buffer]

   \startluacode
       for key, value in
table.sortedpairs(publications.datasets.default.luadata) do
           print(key, publications.prerollcmdstring(value.author))
       end
   \stopluacode

publications.prerollcmdstring seems to run before any of the
replacements/ligatures, so with your fix I get this as the output:

   one     ``Authǒr---One''
   two     ``Authǒr---Two''

while with my suggested fix I get:

   one     “Authǒr—One”
   two     “Authǒr—Two”

I'm using a CLD document to convert a bunch of old .bib and .tex files into
Lua tables (which I'll then convert into XML). I can't modify any of the
input files, so I'll need to somehow deal with all the LaTeX-style input.
Using publications.prerollcmdstring + characters.tex.toutf seems like the
best way to do this, but I'm open to a different solution if you have any
suggestions.

Thanks,
-- Max