> On 3 Apr 2023, at 11:54, jbf via ntg-context <ntg-context@ntg.nl> wrote:
>
> Am always up for a challenge, but hope this one is not beyond my
> possibilities! Have a request to produce a book with English-Vietnamese
> facing pages. The text doesn't have to be strictly in sync, but generally so.
> The only ConTeXt guidelines I think I have at the moment are (1) an old
> module called m-streams (which I am assuming is now obsolete), and (2) an
> exchange of emails on this list over a decade about bilingual typesetting.
>
> It won't bother me too much if I have to tell the intending author and his
> editor that this might be beyond me, but before taking that stance, I have a
> couple of simple questions that someone might be able to respond to. And,
> BTW, the Vietnamese font is not the problem. Tex Gyre Pagella seems to be
> able to cope with that at least!
>
> Q 1: Has anybody reading this actually produced a bilingual book (it doesn't
> have to be en-vn) with ConTeXt? And if so would you be prepared to offer me
> some basic guideline

Way, way back when, I did a document in NL + EN by creating two separate pdfs
for the page bodies only and using a third context doc to included those pages
alternated, with the correct headers added in that third document. Not a ’nice’
solution at all, but it worked for me. (this was in the nineties, though)

> Q 2: There is some guidance from Wolfgang on
> https://wiki.contextgarden.net/Columns towards the end of that page. I tried
> two or three pages of the first chapter of the book, placing English in
> outputstream[one] and the Vietnamese in outputstream[two] and kind of got a
> suitable result except that the last paragraph of both languages ended up
> BEFORE the chapter began. No idea why. The rest seemed okay. So my question
> is whether or not Wolfgang's sample (where he says 'a simple example but I
> had to write the splitter myself') would be sufficient for me to put the book
> together?
>
> Q 2: I suppose the third question is whether, since LMTX, there has been any
> further development in the 'streams' mechanism that might help me?
>
> Julian

—
Taco Hoekwater              E: t...@bittext.nl
genderfluid (all pronouns)