Fair comment Denis.

I decided to try the lookup based approach on pages 85 - 86 of the xml manual and my setups are based on those pages. I have to admit that I find the xml manual a wee bit difficult in places since xml is outside my expertise. I attach my tex and html files which should save some copy and pasting.

Thanks

Keith McKay

On 11/04/2023 14:51, denis.ma...@unibe.ch wrote:
Hard to tell, if you don't show us what you've tried so far.
In one of my setups I use the lua based approach described on page 86/87. But
again, we'll probably need more information to figure it out.

-----Ursprüngliche Nachricht-----
Von: ntg-context <ntg-context-boun...@ntg.nl> Im Auftrag von Keith
McKay via ntg-context
Gesendet: Montag, 10. April 2023 17:30
An: mailing list for ConTeXt users <ntg-context@ntg.nl>
Cc: Keith McKay <mckaymeis...@gmail.com>
Betreff: [NTG-context] Help with typesetting footnotes in an HTML
document

Hi,

I have been puzzling over how to typeset footnotes in a HTML document,
most elements have been relatively easy to typeset but I'm stumped with
footnotes.  I have been studying the the xml manual in particular Chapter  7.4
Cross Referencing, but I'm still struggling to get xmlsetups which come
anywhere near working. Any hints  to a solution would be greatly
appreciated.

Best Wishes

Keith McKay

%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%

Here is a snippet of the HTML document with footnotes

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="utf-8"?>
    "http://www.w3.org/TR/xhtml11/DTD/xhtml11.dtd";>
    <title></title>
</head>
not been discovered,’ wrote Ralph Waldo Emerson<span
class="footnote"><span class="footnote-indirect"
data-fnref="53-1"></span></span>. Those delicate crucifers with their
manifold faces of four pink or lilac petals striated with veins of deeper
lavender are the perfect introduction to flowers for children. So delicate and
yet hardy.</p>
from an unseasonably snowy Austria (‘dieses Wetter ist verrückt!’<span
class="footnote"><span class="footnote-indirect"
data-fnref="53-2"></span></span> as an elderly lady exclaimed to me) to
northern France, and when I come home, it’s to a landscape responding to
substantially increased light levels and temperatures.</p>
we were rehoused from Maryhill in the heart of urban Glasgow to this
peripheral housing scheme which completely changed the character of what
had been a village. Within a decade those glasshouses were abandoned,
glass broken in the frames, and a row of shops that included a chippy and a
betting shop soon replaced them, betting ‘off’ licensed race-tracks having
become legal in 1961.<span class="footnote"><span class="footnote-
      <hr/>
        Emerson, R.W. (1878) <em>Fortune of the Republic</em>, p.3 quoted in
<em>Oxford Dictionary of Quotations</em>, Rev Fourth Edition (1996).
        ‘Crazy weather!’
        <a class="rId10"
href="http://www.independent.co.uk/sport/racing/our-national-love-affair-
a-history-of-the-betting-shop-804966.html"
data-url="http://www.independent.co.uk/sport/racing/our-national-love-
affair-a-history-of-the-betting-shop-804966.html"><span
class="import-Hyperlink">http://www.independent.co.uk/sport/racing/our-
national-love-affair-a-history-of-the-betting-shop-804966.html</span></a>
[accessed 11 Dec 2017]