Am 27.05.23 um 23:54 schrieb Hans Hagen via ntg-context:
You never know when tex will break a page unless you are explicit so you typeset the status too soon.

% \setuppagenumbering[alternative={singlesided,doublesided}]

\starttext
     \dorecurse{200}{
         \dontleavehmode\signalrightpage
         \doifelserightpage{RIGHT}{LEFT}
         \doifelseoddpage  {ODD  }{EVEN}
         \par
     }
\stoptext

The rightpage check combined with putting a signal at the spot where you test will work ok.

The odd/even test works as expected when you're in the page builder (wrapping up the page).

Is this also the right approach to check for the current page within a float placement?
Like
\startplacefigure[]
        \dontleavehmode\signalrightpage % necessary?
        \doifelserightpage{RIGHT}{LEFT}
        \doifelseoddpage  {ODD  }{EVEN}
\stopplacefigure
?

In my macros from 2015 I’m still using manual right/left page versions, and I’d like to enhance them. I need e.g. different \offset values for \externalfigure depending on right/left page.

Hraban