Using the APA specification:

\usebtxdefinitions
    [apa]

you can then

\cite[alternative=authoryears,righttext={{, p.\nbsp 12}}] [Knuth1984]
mentions ….

The tricky part concerning righttext= is the double {{ }}, needed because the text contains a comma. The reason for this is simple, as righttext is a comma-separated list, where each entry corresponds to a cited reference, as in \cite[righttext={a,b}] [ref1,ref2]
so a is associated with ref1 and b is associated with ref2.

Alan