On 11/24/2023 11:17 AM, wolfgangbackes--- via ntg-context wrote:
Hello,
I am reaching out to seek assistance regarding a compatibility issue I have
encountered after installing ConTeXt on a new computer. The problem arises when
attempting to compile documents that utilize the spy library; the LuaTeX engine
returns the following error message:

"error (luacall): invalid number
mtx-context     | fatal error: return code: 1"

Unfortunately, the error message provides no additional clues. To investigate
further, I created a minimal example, which you can easily verify at
https://context-on-web.eu/. The example employs the spy library within a TikZ
environment. Surprisingly, the same example runs without error on my local
LaTeX engine, indicating a potential compatibility issue between ConTeXt and
the spy library.

Here is the minimal example for your reference:

\starttext
\usemodule[tikz]
\usetikzlibrary {spy}
\starttikzpicture[spy using overlays={size=12mm}]
\draw (0,0) -- (1,1) -- (2,-1);
\spy [blue,magnification=5] on (1,1) in node at (3,0);
\stoptikzpicture
\stoptext

I am curious if anyone else has encountered a similar problem with the spy
library and ConTeXt and, if so, if there is a known solution. Any insights or
guidance would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you for your time and assistance.
the log probably mentions some call lua issue .. tikz is somewhat hard to debug but in the end i figured out that it relates to the way it registers function where it assumes that it's the only pqackage in the tex universe

put this before you load tikz:

\ifdefined\pdfstrcmp\else

    \def\pdfstrcmp{\directlua{
        local a = token.scan_string()
        local b = token.scan_string()
        context((a < b and -1) or (a > b and 1) or 0)
    }}

\fi

i'll add more efficient ones to the tikz modules

maillist : ntg-context@ntg.nl /