Am 18.01.24 um 18:47 schrieb Pablo Rodriguez via ntg-context:
On 1/18/24 18:24, Shiv Shankar Dayal wrote:
I can process TeXBook in almost an instant using PDFTeX which is about
450+ pages but my math book takes around 30 seconds averaging ~40
pages/second.

Hi Shiv Shankar Dayal,

I guess that “The TeXbook” (having been written by Knuth himself) may be
optimized for speed.

Your math book may use features (I’m guessing again) that require more
resources than the features used by “The TeXbook”.

Why LuaMetaTeX is so slow? How can I speed it up?

https://www.pragma-ade.com/general/manuals/musings.pdf#page=96 might
explain why Lua(Meta)TeX is slower.

Other chapters in that document from Hans might give you some insight on
the reasons why LMTX has to pay a price for being more feature-rich. I
got such impression when I read it.

Just in case it might help,

In comparison to LaTeX with LuaHBTeX, ConTeXt with LuaMetaTeX is lightning fast.

pdfTeX is 8bit, and Knuth’s plain TeX is very low level – for a fairer comparison, try the TeXbook on LuaMetaTeX (I don’t know if “plain” works though).

Hraban

maillist : ntg-context@ntg.nl /