On 6/4/2024 9:21 PM, Christoph Edenhauser wrote:
Dear Pablo, dear list

That's great, thank you very much for your suggestion.
That seems to me to be a very elegant solution to the next two problems that were actually still ahead of me.

And now to my initial question, which I didn't specify precisely enough.

I have the following workflow in mind:
1. I have an XML file (TEI-XML),
2. then, following your brilliant suggestion, I will create an xml-analyze-template.tex file and customise it.
3. As you suggest, now one would actually use
     context --environment xml-analyze-template.tex file.xml
     to typeset in a pdf file.
But I would like to convert all the XML nodes into the ConTeXt typesetting language, and then edit/correct the text and maybe some structure in this *.tex file.

And here comes my question: Can I use context to convert my XML-file 'file.xml' into a ConTeXt-file 'file.tex' instead of typesetting it as a 'file.pdf'.

What do you want to tweak. HEre is the lowest level approach:

<?xml version='1.0'?>
<whatever>
    <?context-tex-directive start ?>
    <?context-tex-directive red   ?>
    <?context-tex-directive stop ?>
</whatever>

But quite some can be done when processing and there are mechanisms to inject e.g. page breaks using processing instruction. Probablyh not all is documented.

There is a xml-mkiv-tricks.tex file in the distribution (no pdf is seems so I need to add that one.)

maillist : ntg-context@ntg.nl /