Thank you very much for this. After you mentioned \userpagenumber I was able to discover its (single) mention in https://wiki.contextgarden.net/Headers_and_Footers. But perhaps in any reorganisation of the wiki, this could be more clearly indicated as applying more specifically to the need to get roman numerals in \setupheadertexts situations, as my own case demonstrates.

Grateful as always,

Julian