On 9/23/2024 8:02 AM, Pablo Rodriguez via ntg-context wrote:
On 9/22/24 21:58, Hans Hagen via ntg-context wrote:
On 9/22/2024 2:43 PM, Pablo Rodriguez via ntg-context wrote:

It would be great to have synonyms added the /E information by default.
I think this may be a requirement for text-to-speech conversions.

even more crap .. let's wait till abbreviations are completely forbiddeb
(and also units and such )

 From what I see, /E may be helpful (similar to /ActualText).

Imo it's useless:

(1) normally when a new abbreviation is intriduced one has the expanded meaning after it
(2) after that it is suposed to be known
(3) if one jumps into a document in the middle one cannot expect it to be repeated every time
(4) if that *is* expoected there is no need to use abbreviations at all
(5) so, why should a 'read out' document have all abbreviations with an expanded meaning and a typeset text not

For me, the real problem with accessibility (and penalties for
non-accessible documents) is that it will force all documents to be
machine-readable (so we have to feed AI with all our public documents,
whether we like it or not).

i assume that such a machine learning or pattern recognotion app can quite well figure out that it's an abbreviation

I mean, no such as "\enabledirectives[backend.pdf.nounicode=❌]" allowed.

well, everything is allowed ... after all why do we typeset and visualize otherwise ... it depends on the audience

one can always generate multiple versions, one with two times the number of pages and all expanded

maillist : ntg-context@ntg.nl /