On 9/25/2024 3:16 PM, Shiv Shankar Dayal wrote:
You're kidding right? Interfacing to some huge system that dwarfs the
luametatex code base, creates a horrible dependency on what is fashion
today (and replaced in a few years by what is then the fashion in
graphics), adds plenty of runtime while in practice one can just create
these graphics externally once and then include them.

If we talk 3d in mp we mean simple 3d for visualizing data and so. For
artwork one should use programs made for that purpose (fwiw, going over
the top in tikz runtime also makes little sense).

I see your point and also understand that rendering 3D is very time consuming
compared to file access for sufficiently complex 3D scenes while for simple
drawings it is faster to draw them rather than file access.

it might be that loading a small file is faster than loading and initializing a large library (that then also has to load extra stuff)

in that respect ssd's had a big impact on tex processing

btw, you will be surprised to see where tex does(n't) spend it time on; users are free to identify bottlenecks that they think can be avoided by improvements in the engine; for instance the most recent upload has a potential speed bump but who will notice it as it relates to extreme usage patterns; one will never read remarks here like "Oh, all became faster, why's that?"

maillist : ntg-context@ntg.nl /