On 10/1/2024 9:16 PM, Henning Hraban Ramm wrote:
Am 01.10.24 um 00:17 schrieb Hans Hagen:
It’s a novel of ~650 pages with a big range of paragraph lengths (some dialogues with short lines as well as paragraphs that span pages). “Of course” you often get a 3-line paragraph over a page break – it’s hard to avoid widows and orphans.

depends .. three liners can be made to work in fact one should then use \widowpenalties and \clubpenalties with a high value for the first two entries (and maybe disable them to overlap)

I have
\setpenalties\widowpenalties{2}{8000}
\setpenalties\clubpenalties{2}{10000}

Does this make sense? While I saw in your demonstrations that it’s possible to set different penalties per line, I never tried.

That's kind of high: a four line paragraph now gets

line
10000
line
18000
line
8000
line

Otherwise, I found out the easiest solution is a \vbox, VZ does the rest. Should have thought of that earlier, would have saved me a few hours.

often pretty bad spacing (you can also start a paragraph with \linepanelty10000)

maillist : ntg-context@ntg.nl /