Am 26.06.2026 um 07:33 schrieb Pablo Rodriguez via ntg-context:
On 6/26/26 06:11, Aryeh Zapinsky wrote:
Thanks! I used \vbox, but yes, that does work.
Sorry, comparing the results of both `\hbox` and `\vbox` to what I had
in the first initial, the former option seemed the right one to me: I
thought the placement with \vbox was wrong (although this was the first
time I used the Hebrew script in my whole life 😅).
Do you know why the box is necessary?
Since “TeX builds up a page as a nest of boxes within boxes within
boxes” (“TeX for the Impatient”, p. 17), I guess this is required for
ConTeXt to know how to snap the actual content to the grid.
But I discovered the existence of `\snaptogrid` yesterday, so Hans,
Mikael or Wolfgang (among other wizards) can give a more accurate answer
to this.
You have to measure the depth of your character and move the graphic
with outline down with the measured (and scaled) value.
\startuseMPgraphic{letter_w}
picture q;
q := outlinetext(\MPstring{hebrew_letter}) scaled 3 ;
for i within q:
j := j + 1;
draw pathpart i withpen pencircle scaled 2;
endfor;
\stopuseMPgraphic
\starttexdefinition hangingCharacter #1
\setMPtext{hebrew_letter}{#1}
\dowithnextbox
{\verticalbox
[height=2lh-1sd,
yoffset=-3\nextboxdp,
top=\vss]
{\hbox{\useMPgraphic{letter_w}}}}
\hbox{#1}
\stoptexdefinition
Wolfgang
___________________________________________________________________________________
If your question is of interest to others as well, please add an entry to the
Wiki!
maillist : [email protected] /
https://mailman.ntg.nl/mailman3/lists/ntg-context.ntg.nl
webpage : https://www.pragma-ade.nl / https://context.aanhet.net (mirror)
archive : https://github.com/contextgarden/context
wiki : https://wiki.contextgarden.net
___________________________________________________________________________________