Tobias Burnus wrote:

Hi,

Taco Hoekwater wrote:

indeed annoying (and depressing); it also means that you cannot copy an old tree to a new linux installation (this is what i found out recently); on windows, one does not have this problem (since it carries previous versions of libraries); i don't know how sensitive macosx is for updates

It is precisely the same situation as Win98 refusing to run WinXP
binaries. (except it doesn't outright refuse that, it just makes
them crash unexpectedly and unexplainably)

sure, but at least you know that 95|me and 2000|xp are two different things, and now i have to get accustomed to the fact that each update of suse gives me another new operating system (i wonder how it will feel to install suse 34.2)

what puzzles me most is that since tex is not that demanding, it is still so dependent (maybe only pdftex with its graphic libraries is a problem)

Well, or Adobe Reader 7 refusing to install on Windows ME* and demanding at least WinNT SP x or Win2000 SP 2, fortunally there is GhostScript to print PDF files. (The PDF file didn't print with 6.0.)

that's an adobe issue ... they don't care about older machines (same with mac: they didn't even bother to provide proper support for a while back); i must have a floppy with an acrobat 1.0 for msdos somewhere; it actually gave a pretty good picture -)