Hi Hans and Hans,

Hans Hagen wrote:
Hans van der Meer wrote:

I use (as root: sudo) the following shell script to install the latest pdfetex. For me it works. It might be of use to you.

#!/bin/sh
echo "Installing Pdftex..."
umask 022
unzip pdftex-1.30.4.zip
cd pdftex-1.30.4
sh ./Build
cp -f build/texk/web2c/pdftex `which pdftex`
cp -f build/texk/web2c/pdftex.pool `kpsewhich pdftex.pool`

no need for pdftex, is kind of obsolete, and afaik pdfetex is always the default

Yes. I will remove these two lines from the wiki page as well.

cp -f build/texk/web2c/pdfetex `which pdfetex`

which -> kpsewhich

No, "which" is correct.  You want to replace the executable pdfetex
that is in the path.

On all distributions (except the minimal zips), the bin tree is
outside of kpsewhich scope.

cp -f build/texk/web2c/pdfetex.pool `kpsewhich pdfetex.pool`
chown -R root:wheel /usr/local/teTeX

what is this wheel thing?

The "wheel" user group is a unix security measure (of sorts).

chmod -R u+w /usr/local/teTeX
chmod -R a+r /usr/local/teTeX

why not make that place independent as well?

Hans is chmodding the directory, not the executable.

I'm doubt these chown/chmod lines are really needed after
each update of pdfetex (the will only do something the first
time the script is run).

It looks to me like you had a rather peculiar umask in effect
when you installed teTeX 3.0.

Cheers, Taco