On Nov 29, 2005, at 12:36, Hans Hagen wrote:

I could not redefine the \texteuro. In \showcharacters it stays empty. Doing \definecharacter texteuro to_some_value in a typescript does not work (giving: Runaway argument?)

has to do with \definecharacter being space delimited and typescripts being space ignorant

you define characters in an encoding vector, so
\startencoding[whatever]
  \definecharacter ....
\stopencoding
which you can do anyplace

I now put "\startencoding[texnansi]\definecharacter texteuro {\symbol [europe][EUR]}\stopencoding" in the Tex document sourcetext for a font having texnansi encoding but no euro symbol; that works.

However, it seems a bit awkward to have to remember to do this for each document -- and remember to delete/change it when another font is chosen for the document. As you explained, in contrast to for example "\def\euro{\symbol [europe][EUR]}" this definition does not work inside a typescript. Is the only generic solution perhaps to be found in special encoding files coupled to specific fonts? I.e. having a separate texnansi coding for fonts with and without euro symbol?

yours sincerely,
dr. H. van der Meer