Hi,

Thomas A. Schmitz wrote:
German orthography is a mess right now, we now have two sets of rules, old and new. New hyphenation is ugly and rules are constantly changing. I see that ConTeXt has lang-deo.pat, so I was hoping that this would produce "old" patterns, but it doesn't seem to work
Should work(TM).

\showhyphens{Bierdeckel}
I may completely missunderstand the .pat files, but I think they only give rules where to hyphenate; thus with the current .pat system one can never get ck -> k-k.

LaTeX's german.sty and also ConTeXt provide
"ck -> k-k
"ll -> ll-l
"ff ->ff-f
(as in Bierde"ckel, Ro"lladen or Schi"ffahrt).

\showhyphens{äußerst}
Underfull \hbox (badness 10000) in paragraph at lines 12--12
[] \*10ptrmtf* ‰u-ˇerst
Hmm, my Duden of 1996 writes in black "au|ßerst" (= new & established spelling), which is in line what I remember. But I see \showhyphens{äußerstenfalls} be wrongly hyphenated; according to Duden it should be: äu|ßersten|falls (new spelling: äu|ßers|ten|falls). TeX hyphenates here (with deo = established spelling) between the s and the t.

Tobias