Steve Peter wrote:

On Dec 6, 2005, at 3:15 AM, Hans Hagen wrote:

Jason Knight wrote:

get into the guts at the time.

This threaed gets me thinking: how far away from "proper" is the tipa
package under LaTeX? How much work is a "proper" implementation  likely
to be?

this is something you and steve peter (also a linguist) can tell us

I'm actually not certain what's being asked. By being a "proper" package under LaTeX, do you mean that the package conforms to all norms for LaTeX package programming?

That "proper" remark was made by me. What I meant was: TIPA is fine
for phonetics, but it is *only* phonetics. For full support for
typesetting in the field of linguistics, many more specialized
macros are needed, that are not handled by the TIPA package
(like glosses and trees in various styles).

Cheers,
Taco