Hi Leon,

In general, I think there can be no doubt that ConTeXt is much more flexible than LaTeX for book writing, although the latter is far more well-known. LaTeX has a package, memoir, that makes LaTeX much better for book writing, but I still prefer ConTeXt because of its much more integrated and consistent user interface overall.

As for documentation, start here:

http://www.pragma-ade.com/show-man-1.htm

BTW: I mainly typeset books and journals, came from LaTeX, and will never go back if I can help it...

Best
Idris