Thomas A. Schmitz wrote:

This last step gave and still gives me some headaches (my last attempt was with Opensuse 10.1 alpha 4), and that's where I ask for some elucidation: texexec does not rely on kpsewhich to locate the directory where it dumps the

texexec useses kpse but your texmf.cnf file may be kind of non standard; maybe you need to tweak that one

formats. So what I've seen happening is that I have brandnew formats in one place, yet texexec --version will still display the old versions (or say somehting like "cont-en.fmt unknown"). I have often just found out where kpsewhich searches for the formats and then replaced these old formats with symlinks to the new ones, but I'm not quite sure if this is a good approach. Does anyone have more insights on this? What's with this proliferation of TEXMF-trees in recent versions of teTeX: which ones do we actually need? Which ones can be deleted safely?

good point ... i lost track of that long ago; there is some info in the tex live manual about all those additional home/sys/whatever trees, maybe reading that manual helps