David Arnold wrote:

Have you seen this document?

http://pragma-ade.com/general/manuals/details.pdf

Look in the section "Fine Tuning Graphics" and see if there is
anything there that will help.

Yes, I had looked through that document, which is where I found the statement (on p. 25):

When the figure does not fit on the page, a page break is issued.

This, as I mentioned, is a result of \placefigure I would like to get around (and, in fact, \placefloat DOES seem to get around, but with the drawback of not having text wrapped to the side). While I don't understand all the "details" of that manual, (which I am sure will be very helpful for me in fine tuning the placement of a graphic relative to the surrounding text, if I can overcome my current placement difficulty), the remaining "details" do not appear to address the matter. I feel like I am missing something pretty basic, here, but just can't seem to come up with the right combination.

Any other thoughts?

Regards,
Randolph