Gerben Wierda wrote:

On Jan 10, 2006, at 21:22, Idris Samawi Hamid wrote:

By and by I've found that I am only using ConTeXt for my typesetting needs. I am curious as to whether someone can advise me how best to install a suitable yet minimal TeX installation: without LaTeX, etc. I am currently using Gerben's very helpful i-Installer.

If someone can tell me which part of my redistro should stay, I can easily rearrange matters such that such a minimal install is possible.

since the minimals have many fonts, they are not that small; they use the [10pt] subsets of cbgreek and cmsuper [karl bery and i hav ebeen playing with subsets and if i'm right tex live now also ships with subsets] which saves many megs;

the minimals also don't have latex and other macro packages (only plain tex as this is used in mptopdf); this may safe quite some megs (as well as speeds up file searching) because latex ships with sourcetrees as well

also, nothing metafont is included

plus a subset of binaries, think of:

afm2pl
afm2tfm
aleph
dvips
dvitodvi
dvitomp
dvipdfmx
kpseaccess
kpsestat
kpsewhich
mktexlsr
mpost
mpto
pdfetex
pltotf
texmfstart
tftopl
ttf2afm
ttf2tfm
vftovp
vptovf

(+ xetex)
(+ some tool stubs)

it's still on taco/mine's agenda to set up a gforce minimal repos at fabrice's server for packagers