Hans van der Meer wrote:

I find it difficult to see the difference -- and therefore when to use the one or the other -- between useMPgraphic and uniqueMPgraphic. Is there someone who will enlighten me? Because I hate not knowing what I am doing.

say that you have a background behind framed:

compare:

\startuseMPgraphic{test}
   draw OverlayBox withcolor red ;
\stopuseMPgraphic{test}

\setupcolor[state=start]

\defineoverlay[test][\useMPgraphic{test}]

\starttext

\framed[background=test]{Hans}
\framed[background=test]{Hans van}
\framed[background=test]{Hans van der}
\framed[background=test]{Hans van der Meer}
\framed[background=test]{Hans}

\stoptext

compare: use, reuse and unique and you'll notice the differnece:

use: every time (i.e. 5 mp runs)
reuse: once, each framed gets the same background (some have wrong dimensions)
unique: 4 runs, the last one has the same dimensions and is shared

so ... unique is able to determine if it can reuse (based on configurable characteristics)