Ok, after taking deep breath I'll try this issue again. I got indenting to work after putting \noindenting inside its own environment.

However, the following code block stopped working recently and I don't know why:

\defineXMLenvironment[body]
  {\bgroup
   \rm\setupwhitespace[none]
   \setupindenting[small,yes]
   \startcolumns[rule=on,n=2,tolerance=strict]
   {\noindenting} }
  {\stopcolumns
   \egroup}

It just doesn't indent anything, even after removing the {\noindenting} environment.

Christopher