Am 2006-01-14 um 20:35 schrieb Mojca Miklavec:
Since Taco's proposal is OK, you don't need this, but I'll reply
anyway. The problem is caused by "wrong order" of commands. If you
load ec encoding AFTER this command, your new definition of ssharp
will be overridden by the encoding definition again.
(Since ec encoding is the default one on my system, I had to use
texnansi in order to make the example fail.)

ec is my default encoding, too, so I didn't use any changing commands.

\startencoding[ec]
    \startmode[swiss]
        \definecharacter ssharp {ss}
    \stopmode
\stopencoding
than the order of commands doesn't matter any more (but then the
automatic conversion will only work for the ec encoding).

No, it doesn't.
And I don't find any errors in the log.

Grüßlis vom Hraban!
---