Thomas A. Schmitz wrote:
> Taco,
>
> I hate doing it, but I have to disagree ;-) I was trying to fix this

Ok. Thomas, can you try the definition  below with a font that
has correct kerning? (you have to set \smartquotationfontstrue
as well, of course ). Should work, but I cannot test due to lack
of fonts ;-)

Cheers, Taco

\unprotect
\newif\ifsmartquotationfonts

\def\dohandlequotation#1#2%
   {\ifsmartquotationfonts
      #2%
      \ifhmode \penalty\!!tenthousand\hskip\zeropoint \fi \strut
      \languageparameter#1%
    \else
      \ifdim\lastskip=\quotationsignal
        \unskip\hskip\hspaceamount\currentlanguage{interquotation}%
      \else
        #2%
      \fi
      \ifhmode \penalty\!!tenthousand\hskip\zeropoint \fi \strut
      \symbol[#1]%
      \penalty\!!tenthousand\hskip\quotationsignal
    \fi }%
\protect