I have been experimenting with columnsets too.
There I encounter the problem that I cannot set the distance between
the columns at will.
Neither lt columnsets force themselves into the frame.
\starttextbackground doesn't help here, at most I get frames around
the separate columns, not the thing that is wanted.

The bad thing is, that LateX multicols inside a parbox does what is
wanted.
It would be too bad if such behaviour could not be duplicated in
ConTeXt!

yours sincerely,
dr. H. van der Meer