Does this look ok?
(code is not production-ready yet, but seems reasonable to me)

Taco

\def\startsubstack
   {\begingroup
    \null
    \vcenter\bgroup
    \pushmacro\domatrixNC
    \let\endmath\relax
    \def\NC{\domatrixNC}%
    \def\MC{\domatrixNC\ifmmode\else$\def\endmath{$}\fi}%
    \global\let\domatrixNC\dodomatrixNC
    \def\NR{\endmath%
      \global\let\domatrixNC\dodomatrixNC
      \vadjust{\kern -.33\bodyfontsize}\crcr}%
    \mathsurround\zeropoint
    \everycr\emptytoks
    \halign\bgroup  \hfil$\scriptstyle ##$\hfil\crcr }

\def\stopsubstack
   {\crcr
    \egroup
    \popmacro\domatrixNC