Sanjoy Mahajan wrote:
> So the project and environment files got read in.  By the way, why isn't
> the product file loaded?  Is it not needed when making just one
> component?  But it could modify the environment.

It could modify the environment, but it shouldnt. So I guess Hans
never considered loading it. (for Hans: please don't do anything
about this right now, I want to investigate what would be needed
for partial recompilation, first)

> Is there a hardcoded limit on how far up context searches?

Like you just discovered, it searches three levels (current, parent,
grandparent). The max level is defined in this macro:

   \def\maxreadlevel{3}

You can simply redefine the macro if needed (you have to do that in
cont-sys, otherwise you have a bootstrapping problem).

The file reading macros are in supp-fil.tex, if interested.

Cheers, Taco