Hi Mojca,

Trying your minimal file on my Mac OS X, with XeConTeXt or with plain
XeTeX, I observe the same hanging...

However, the following, taken out of an example sent to you by
Jonathan K., works fine with both (indeed commenting out \starttext
and \stoptext in plain XeTeX):

\starttext
\font\lmec = ec-lmr10 at 36 pt

\lmec
Testing... ð

Testing... ^^F0

\catcode`č=\active \defč{^^a3}
\catcode`š=\active \defš{^^b2}
\catcode`ž=\active \defž{^^ba}

Testing... čšž

\stoptext

while the following results in a PDF file with "Testing... ° 0"

\starttext
\catcode`ð=\active \defð{^^F0}

Testing... ð

\stoptext

Needless to tell you that all this seems extremely obscure to me...

Best regards: OK