Thomas A. Schmitz wrote:
> Alan's log:
> This is pdfeTeX, Version 3.141592-1.30.4-2.2 (Web2C 7.5.5) (INITEX)
> 24 MAY 2006 06:40
> entering extended mode
> ***cont-en.ini
> (/usr/local/teTeX/share/texmf.local/tex/context/config/cont-en.ini
> (/usr/local/teTeX/share/texmf.local/tex/context/base/cont-en.tex
> (/usr/local/teTeX/share/texmf.local/tex/context/base/context.tex
> (/usr/local/teTeX/share/texmf.local/tex/context/base/syst-pln.tex
>
> Both have the latest release. So the only difference that really
> could matter:
> 1. older version of pdf(e)tex;

no problem here
> 2. natural.tcx is not called.

probably the problem
> Can anybody help? I'm unable to reproduce the problem here; I can
> generate formats both with texmfstart texexec --make --all and with
> fmtutil-sys --byfmt cont-en.

i dunno how fmtutil works, but maybe you can pass the -8bit switch to pdftex
somehow (or translate-file=natural.tcx)

an alternative is to regenerate the patterns

  ctxtools --pat

will generate them, given that in the meantime the original names/content of
pattern sources hasn't changed)

i know from discussion on the tex live list that tetex was ot that fond of
being 8 bit clean (all this locale stuff and wanting to have ^^X kind dof
output on the terminal) but because context (sometimes) need a round trip 8
bit, i assume an 8 bit clean tex

(btw, fmtutil does not support the engine subpath either - which was reported
to be too complex to implement)