Hans van der Meer wrote:
> 2. The mpgraph.1 files differ only slightly, except for a few roundoff
> differences:
> new format extra lines: (but not a problem, I would guess)
> %%MetaPostSpecials: 2.0 123 1000
> %%HiResBoundingBox: -5.66927 -5.66927 359.9991 119.05481
> %%MetaPostSpecial: 7 1 1 1 1 0.94118 1 3

Believe it or not, but this is a known problem within web2c.
It is triggered by an interaction between the new texexec
and having two different entries in texmf.cnf for Metaposts
memory size, for example like this:

   main_memory.mpost        = 500000
   main_memory.metafun      = 3000000

Now, the metafun format is generated as "mpost", but the
graphics are created as "metafun", and the different memory
sizes make the specials go disappear.

Strangely, I thought Hans and I had fixed by that a few weeks
back by changing the mpost commandlines, but apparently we didn't.

A workaround (while we sort this out) is to make sure that the
.mpost and .metafun settings use the same (highest) number.

Taco