On 28 juin 2006, at 15:11, Taco Hoekwater wrote:
>Mojca Miklavec wrote:
>with the content
>     ruby path-to-context-ruby-scripts/texmfstart.rb
>
>What I have is this simple script (and it should work on MacOSX
>just as well). Name it 'texfmstart', make it executable, fill in
>the correct path and put it in a binaries directory.
>

>    #!/bin/sh
>    ruby path-to-context-ruby-scripts/texmfstart.rb $@
>

>Cheers, taco

Hi Mojca and Taco,

Thanks to your insights I could finally manage to get rid of the
        "warning: use 'texmfstart texexec' instead"...
Needless to say I feel very proud now :-)

For all those who are shy like me (!) and don't dare ask too trivial
questions, here is what one can do on Mac OS X (and, mutatis
mutandis, probably on any Unix like system):

0) I have teTeX and ConTeXt installed (and updated quite often...)
with Gerben Wierda's i-Installer. In principle there is a directory
(folder...) named
        /usr/local/teTeX/bin/
if you have installed TeX in /usr/local. Otherwise with the command
        locate
in a Terminal window find the directory teTeX/bin/. Here there should
be a subdirectory named
        powerpc-apple-darwin7.9.0
or something like that (depending on the type of the processor you have?).
Go there, for instance in my case:
        cd powerpc-apple-darwin7.9.0

2) Find the path to "texmfstart.rb": in the Terminal window type
        locate texmfstart.rb
for instance on my system I have two "texmfstart.rb",

/usr/local/teTeX/share/texmf.local/scripts/context/ruby/texmfstart.rb
/usr/local/teTeX/share/texmf.tetex/scripts/context/ruby/texmfstart.rb

the second one is old, while the first one is recent and installed
with Gerben's i-Installer. I assumed (remember we are willing to use
ConTeXt...) that the newer one is the right one...

3) In the Terminal window (while you are in the directory
powerpc-apple-darwin7.9.0) type:
        sudo emacs texmfstart
and after giving an su password, in the editor's window type the code
given by Taco, that is the two following lines:

#!/bin/sh
ruby /usr/local/teTeX/share/texmf.local/scripts/context/ruby/texmfstart.rb $@

4) Save and exit emacs by typing
        [CTRL]-X [CTRL]-S
and then
        [CTRL]-X [CTRL]-C

5) You have created a script named texmfstart... Now you have to make
it executable, so in the Terminal window (while you are in the
directory powerpc-apple-darwin7.9.0) type
        sudo chmod +x texmfstart

6) Now if in any other Terminal window you type, for instance
        texmfstart
or
        texmfstart --version
you should get the version of texmfstart and a series of example usage.

7) If you go to a directory where you have a file named example.tex,
then you can typeset it with ConTeXt by saying:
        texmfstart texexec example.tex
and now you shouldn't have the "warning: use 'texmfstart texexe' instead".
And you are done!

Cheers: OK