On Thursday 25 May 2006 07:52, luigi scarso wrote:
> OK, it is a big OFF TOPIC.
> Some notes
> * the Elements of Typographic Style was made with Indesign (true or
> false?) and the only
> words about TeX is an url (true or false ?)
> * indesign eat xml
> * there is an indesign server; maybe actually too much complex, but in
> the future?
> * I don't know if IDCS2 has some programming capabilities like ConTeXt
> Ofcourse :
> *IDCS2 come from Adobe, so it has the feature of latest pdf spec.;
> *IDCS2 is WYSIWYG
> * (...possibly many others...)
>
> But there is one important point:
> Can IDCS2 be view as candidate for automatic typesetting (xml->IDCS2->pdf)
> ?

InDesign is partly based on TeX, and can yield fine results. But
it is not free of problems. It is, like most commercial and some
Open Source products, page oriented instead of document oriented.
ID shows its feet of clay when a document that is already
completed needs to be altered. Please see the archives of
Pub-Forum and the threads titled: "Another Indesign question:
copyfitting."

TeX is hardly perfect. But every problem discussed on that
rather long thread is a non-problem in TeX.  There is a lack of
flexiblity with ID that I found rather shocking.

My advice: look before you leap.
> luigi

John Culleton
Books with answers to marketing and publishing questions:

Book coaches, consultants and packagers: