On 7/21/06, Hans van der Meer wrote:

> The \quote and \quotation macros surround text with quotation marks. These
> are made language dependent.
> In dutch the old way was an opening mark at the baseline and closing at the
> top of the letters; ConTeXt has been programmed this way.
> However, the lower quotation mark is less and less used in Dutch (vide Jan
> Renkema, Schrijfwijzer, 2002, p.382) and the English variants are now
> commonly used.
>
> This leads to two questions:
> 1. is there a setup-macro that can be used? (switching language around
> before quote and changing back inside is a bit awkward);
>  \setupdelimitedtext[..][..]  is not documented in the manual, is this the
> one to use, and how?
>  I tried this but could not effect a change and from the code I could not
> deduce what to change.

\installlanguage
  [nl]
  [leftquote=\upperleftsinglesixquote,
   rightquote=\upperrightsingleninequote,
   leftquotation=\upperleftdoublesixquote,
   rightquotation=\upperrightdoubleninequote,
  ]

We also use two variants of quotation marks. I thought that having a
single option to switch between the two variants would be handy (and
easy to implement), but I don't know how to call it. If I need the
other variant of quotation marks I use the definition above.

> 2. is this a case for changing ConTeXt's default for Dutch?

I doubt. There were too many texts written already and I guess that
people would get confused if the quotation marks would be changed at
once.

Mojca