From: Hans Hagen [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Sent: Fri, 21 Jul 2006 13:12:23 +0200
Subject: Re: [NTG-context] base/tex.rb comments

Richard Gabriel wrote:
> Hello Hans and others,
>
> I'd have two comments to the texmf/scripts/context/ruby/base/tex.rb
> script.
>
> 1. I find quite impractical that the formats (cont-en, cont-nl etc.)
> are hardcoded in the scripts. When one wants to add a new format, then
> he must add it on 4 or 5 places in the script, and do it again and
> again everytime when upgrading ConTeXt. :-(
well, we can use:

def validsomething(str,something)
if str then
list = [str].flatten.collect do |s|
something[s] || s # || s added
end .compact.uniq
if list.length>0 then
if str.class == String then list.first else list end
else
false
end
else
false
end
end

and then you can say

texexec --all --make --texformats=cont-xx

given that you have cont-xx.tex

> 2. Maybe this is an OS and TeX distribution specific issue...
> I use TeXLive 2005 on Windows XP.
> The TeX formats are located in C:\TeXLive\texmf-var\web2c. [the
> "kpsewhich --show-path=fmt" command also shows this path].
> When generating a format using "texmfstart texexec --make en", the
> generated format is placed into C:\TeXLive\texmf-var\web2c\pdfetex.
> Then, when trying to use the format, it is not found...
>
> This is done on line 547 of tex.rb:
>
> texformatpath = if getvariable('local') then '.' else
> Kpse.formatpath(texengine,true) end
>
> So I've changed it to "Kpse.formatpath(texengine,false)" and
> everything is fine.
>
> But I don't understand why it is set so by default and why it doesn't
> work for me.
> Does anybody experience the same problem?
we really need the engine path so i wonder why the format is not found; maybe an error in the cnf file (should recursively search the web2c path for formats)