Hi,

Be warned, this entire reply does not answer any questions ;-)

Jano Kula wrote:

> Not always. A year ago a graphic designer used it a quiet creative way
> in the book of interviews. All the questions or persons were underlined,
> often hyphenated. It was an experiment and it worked. By the way, some
> of the caption and figure alingment Mojca asked for was used there also.
> I've put few sample pages here (done in LaTeX):
>
> http://web.iol.cz/kula/sample.pdf (1,5MB).

Perhaps I am way too old-fashioned, but that looks rather ugly to me.

> So not for emphasis but as a graphic element it is -- and will be -- used.

IMO,

   graphic element == emphasis

Backgrounds, colorization, larger or different typeface, indentation,
additional vertical space, they are all tools to draw extra attention
to  particular bits of the text.

Greetings,
Taco