On Mon, 7 Aug 2006, Taco Hoekwater wrote:
Andreas Schneider wrote:
but xdvi gives error messages like [...]

My guess is that you have to copy the final <ec.enc> file you used
to the folder where dvips (and xdvi, which looks in the same
place normally) looks for encoding files.

I created a symlink in my private texmf tree (ec.enc -> lm-ec.enc) and ran texhash, and after that it was all the same. Anyway, this would not explain why I have the same symptom with the texnansi encoding, too.

Maybe it helps debugging that dvips gives different error messages:

This is dvips(k) 5.95a Copyright 2005 Radical Eye Software (www.radicaleye.com)
' TeX output 2006.08.07:1402' -> schrift.ps
<tex.pro><8r.enc><texps.pro>. <bgjb.pfb><bgjri.pfb><bgjr.pfb>
Warning: module writet1 of dvips (file bgjr.pfb): glyph `pi' undefined

Warning: module writet1 of dvips (file bgjr.pfb): glyph `product' undefined

Warning: module writet1 of dvips (file bgjr.pfb): glyph `ffl' undefined

Warning: module writet1 of dvips (file bgjr.pfb): glyph `ffi' undefined

Warning: module writet1 of dvips (file bgjr.pfb): glyph `ff' undefined

Warning: module writet1 of dvips (file bgjr.pfb): glyph `dotlessj' undefined
[1]

Also I get a slightly different result: With gv I can see some umlauts in the postscript file (ä, ö, ü work, but ß does not). Instead of the ligatures there are only spaces.

Andreas